Animal Caretaker I
The successful candidate will perform daily husbandry duties including washing down macaque cages, feed animals, perform daily health checks on animals and sanitizing cages using various detergents and portable power washers. Must be able to work well as a team member, as well as independently. Will be required to work. May perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Veterinarian.
Required: High School diploma or GED equivalent. Must be able to read and follow written and verbal orders from Supervisor and Veterinarian. Must be able to write legibly and record health data and some research data. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards. Preferred: Six months of animal care experience. ALAT certification.
• Employee’s work will also involve working directly with laboratory animals such as Macaques and Baboons.
• Employee will be exposed to unpleasant odors and animal wastes.
• Hazardous chemicals include Enviro-B, Super Blue, AD-1, CFC; 64LQ, Bleach and Acetone.
• Infectious materials (BSL-2)
• Other occupational hazards include bites, scratches and lifting.
• Employee must routinely lift 40+ pounds (feed, animals and water hoses) and carry for short distances without assistance.
• Prolonged standing and walking with some climbing will be required.
• Work will be performed in outdoor weather conditions.
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Immunization for Hepatitis B is required unless waived by the employee.
• Employee will drive Texas Biomed vehicles on Texas Biomed business.
• Safety Training and protective clothing, equipment, and supplies will be provided to the employee.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Texas Biomed business hours are Monday through Friday 7:00a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Occasional weekend work, holidays and overtime will be required. Texas Biomedical is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.