Animal Caretaker I - SNPRC
The successful candidate must be able to wash down and move macaque cages, feed animals, perform daily health checks on animals, and sanitize cages using various detergents and portable power washers. Must be able to work well as a team member, as well as independently. May perform other duties as assigned by the Veterinary Research Technician Supervisor or Veterinarian.
Required: High School diploma or GED equivalent.
Preferred: One year of animal caretaker experience.
Must be able to read and follow written and verbal orders from Supervisor and Veterinarian. Must be able to write legibly and record health data and some research data. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards.
• Employee’s work will also involve working directly with macaques and other primates of Texas Biomed colonies.
• Employee will be exposed to unpleasant odors and animal wastes.
• Hazardous chemicals include paint, Enviro-B, Super Blue, AD-1, CFC; Descaler. AD-1. 64LQ.
• Biological hazards include infectious materials (BSL-2), Herpes B. Simian retrovirus.
• Other occupational hazards include bites, scratches and lifting.
• Employee must routinely lift 50 pounds (feed, animals and water hoses) and carry for short distances without assistance.
• Prolonged standing.
• Work will be performed in outdoor weather conditions.
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required (Baseline physical, TB Test, Tetanus, Serum banking and hepatitis screening required, Immunization for Hepatitis B is required.
• Employee will drive Texas Biomed vehicles on Texas Biomed business.
• Safety Training and protective clothing, equipment, and supplies will be provided to the employee.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Employee will normally work 7am to 4pm. Rotating schedule with some weekend and holiday work required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status.
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.