Animal Caretaker I – SNPRC
The successful candidate must be able to wash down and move cages, feed animals, perform daily health checks on animals, and sanitize cages using various detergents and portable power washers. Must be able to work well as a team member, as well as independently. May perform other duties as assigned by the Animal Resources Manager or Veterinarian.
• Provide daily care for chimpanzees, e.g., watering, feeding, daily cleaning of cages, etc.
• Provide all other aspects of monkey husbandry, including health checks, recording data and assisting Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians in health care and assist in monkey environmental enrichment program.
• May be required to catch and handle non-sedated monkeys.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Veterinarian.
Required: High School diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
Required: Previous animal caretaker experience.
Required: Must be able to read and follow written and verbal orders from supervisor and Veterinarian. Must be able to write legibly and record health data and some research data. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards.
• Employee’s work will involve working with chimpanzees. Employee will be in direct contact with animals
• Employee will be exposed to unpleasant odors and animal wastes.
• Hazardous chemicals include Enviro-B, Super Blue, AD-1, Bleach and Descaler, C.F.C.
• Infectious agents include Herpes B Virus and Simian Retrovirus, HIV, Hepatitis B & C.
• Other occupational hazards include bites, scratches and lifting.
• Employee must routinely lift 50+ pounds (feed, animals, and water hoses) and carry for short distances without assistance.
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Immunization for Hepatitis B is required unless waived by the employee.
• Employee will drive Texas Biomed vehicles on Texas Biomed business.
• Safety Training and protective clothing, equipment, and supplies will be provided to the employee.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Employee will normally work 7:00am to 4:00pm. Some weekend and holiday work will be required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbio,ed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status.
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.