Animal Caretaker Position
Candidate will provide general husbandry and animal handling inside the ABSL-4 laboratory. Candidate will assist with documentation of data obtained from daily animal care. Must be able to work well as a team member as well as independently. May perform other duties as assigned by the Veterinary Research Technician Supervisor.
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE/ SKILLS: Required: High School diploma or GED equivalent. Must be able to read and follow written and verbal orders from Supervisor and Veterinarian. Must be able to write legibly and record health data and some research data. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards. Preferred: Six months of prior animal care experience.
• This work will involve potential exposure to chemical hazards such as carcinogens (Formalin), toxic materials (Formalin, Trizol).
• Physical hazards include: Cryogenics (liquid nitrogen) and x-ray equipment
• Biological hazards include: Infectious materials (BSL-2, ABSL-2, ABSL-3, and ABSL-4)
• This work will involve working with laboratory animals such as Macaques, Rodents, and other small animals. Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
• Employee will be exposed to unpleasant odors and animal wastes.
• Employee must routinely lift 50 pounds (feed, animals and water hoses) and carry for short distances without assistance.
• Prolonged standing.
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required (Baseline physical, TB Test, Tetanus, Serum banking and hepatitis screening required, Immunization for Hepatitis B is required.
• To comply with regulation’s governing those who have access to Biological Select Agents and Toxins (BSATs), the candidate’s background, national agency records, and criminal record will be investigated initially and on a periodic basis for the purpose of determining their suitability for access to these agents. Employment is contingent upon passing these security-based checks. Individuals must pass an FBI Security Risk Assessment.
• Must be able to wear an air-purifying respirator in a proper manner and, if necessary, pass a respirator fitness test.
• Employee will drive Texas Biomed vehicles on Texas Biomed business.
• Safety Training and protective clothing, equipment, and supplies will be provided to the employee.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Employee will normally work 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. Rotating schedule with some weekend and holiday work required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status.
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.