Biomedical Equipment Specialist – Facilities
This job requires the applicant to service, repair, and maintain a large variety of specialize laboratory equipment in multiple buildings on a campus, and be the resident expert on this equipment. The equipment includes, but is not limited to, autoclaves/sterilizers of various sizes (up to 190 ft3), incubators, glasswashers, cage washers, ice machines, medium temp through ultra-low temp freezers, fume hoods, Class II and Class III biosafety cabinets, and any other lab or facility support equipment within capabilities. Will work closely with contractors that supply our equipment. Will be responsible for evaluating and tracking equipment end of life. Will be very involved with new equipment installation and commissioning. Will write process instructions and cross-train other employees. Must be team oriented and willing to assist other areas. Will assist others in diagnostics in systems as required. Will perform some HVAC preventive maintenance and minor repairs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities.
• Performs routine and preventive maintenance on autoclaves/sterilizers of various sizes (up to
190 ft3), incubators, glass washers, cage washers, ice machines, medium temp through ultra-low
temp freezers, fume hoods, Class II and Class III biosafety cabinets, and any other lab or facility support equipment within capabilities.
• Provide top-level customer support to end users, including training and basic operations
• Performs diagnostic testing and repairs of mechanical systems.
• Utilize Visio, Excel, Word, as required to develop PM reports and schedules.
• Supervise subcontracted repair work, including the installation of equipment.
• Communicate effectively with appropriate Managers and Directors regarding customer requirements and request for service.
• Ensure maximum equipment efficiency and reliability.
• Perform system testing and calibration for validation purpose.
• May be assigned to assist other maintenance personnel such as electrician, plumber or carpenter for periods or for designated projects.
• Train other personnel as needed on the use of control systems.
• Writes process SOPs and work instructions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Required: HS Diploma/GED. Five years of related field experience in laboratory equipment repair. Intermediate knowledge of at least two of the following vendors’ application programming: Primus, Steris, Getinge, Thermo Fisher, Sanyo. Experience with mechanical piping, plumbing is a must. Excellent interpersonal and writing skills. Quality, excellence, customer satisfaction and teamwork mentality is a must.
PLC programming and installation experience preferred.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Working conditions involve the requirement to follow basic safety precautions. Physical demands include moderate physical activity that includes prolonged standing and/or walking, handling moderate weight objects and/or using or carrying equipment. Environmental Demands – External weather conditions. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Immunization for hepatitis B is required unless waived by the employee. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards. Safety training and protective clothing, equipment and supplies will be provided to the employee.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Texas Biomed business hours are Monday through Friday – 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Occasional weekend work, holidays and overtime will be required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is
a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status.
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.