Under the direction of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety Department, the Environmental Health and Safety Specialist III provides professional expertise to the Texas Biomed community in the evaluation and control of research and clinical laboratory hazards. The Environmental Health and Safety Specialist III promotes safe practices and procedures in laboratories, stimulates responsible activities among faculty, staff and students, provides education and guidance for the safe conduct of research, and ensures compliance with National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops, and conducts programs to identify and quantify potentially hazardous situations associated with the conduct of biomedical research (or associated support activities) involving Risk Groups 2-3 etiologic agents, chemical and radioactive materials hazards; and develops practices/procedures or engineering controls to minimize or eliminate those risks.
- Plans and conducts required comprehensive laboratory safety training of employees and maintains training records.
- Writes and maintains written safety plans and SOPs.
- Serves as an emergency response team member in the Institute’s Institute Response Team.
- Oversees autoclave sterilization efficacy testing program. Assists with advising users and monitoring proper decontamination and disposal streams for all biological, chemical and mixed waste generated at Texas Biomed.
- Assists with development and implementation of the medical surveillance program.
- Develops and implements emergency response procedures for incidents involving biohazardous agents and materials, and maintains Incident Action Plan for biohazards; develops medical surveillance criteria for activities involving biohazards and related material.
- Provides technical guidance to faculty and staff in the development of safety plans for grant applications; advises facilities and physical plant staff regarding technical and programmatic issues involving laboratory design and maintenance.
- Assists in review of proposed pathogen studies and Recombinant DNA research work to ensure an appropriate risk assessment has been conducted, that all material is properly registered and approved through Texas Biomed’s Biohazards and Safety Committee and the Recombinant DNA Committee and Incumbent will collaborate with research staff to ensure sufficient, supporting documentation is submitted to these committees.
- Assists in review of animal study proposals and amendments to ensure compliance with biosafety requirements, chemical and other physical hazards, safe handling of animals and sharps.
- Assists with first aid and Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control/and Respiratory Protection programs, including providing classroom training courses.
- Provides assistance to researchers in obtaining and maintaining any required import or interstate transport permits for etiologic materials to be used at the Institute.
- Assists with development and implementation of a hazardous materials shipping program.
- Inspects research and teaching facilities for compliance with regulations and guidelines pertaining to the use, handling, and disposal of potential biohazards, recombinant DNA; chemical and radioactive materials hazards; advises and follows up on remediation of problems found during inspections.
- Assists in the review and investigation of accidents occurring on campus, and develops corrective action plans.
- Serves as a source of expertise to the Institute regarding appropriate equipment, facilities, and work practices for protecting laboratories, staff, and the environment from contamination of hazardous biological, chemical and radioactive materials.
- Consistent attendance is an essential responsibility
- Must have valid driver’s license to meet organization driving standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS: Required: Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology or other related field from an accredited college or university. Preferred: Master’s degree preferred. Certification by the American Biological Assoc. (RBP or CBSP) preferred.
- Requires five or more years of job specific experience.
- Requires experience in research laboratory safety, biosafety; preferably with high containment.
- Experience as a safety professional applying working knowledge of NIH Recombinant DNA guidelines, CDC regulations for biological materials and dealing with relevant federal, state and local regulatory agencies (DHS, DHHS, DOD, OSHA, USDA).
- Ability to undergo and maintain a favorable background investigation and National Select Agent Registration security risk assessment.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Standard clinical, laboratories and/or office environments and mechanical rooms. Exposure to animal bio safety level 2 & 3 (ABSL2/3) and a bio safety level 2 & 3 (BSL2/3) laboratories. May work with occupational hazards such as infectious diseases and harmful chemicals. Exposure to mechanical and electrical hazards and may be required to work in or crawlspaces.
- Exposure to areas under construction
- Exposure to adverse weather conditions or temperature extremes.
- Exposure to electrical/mechanical hazards.
- Climbs ladders and stairways and works on building rooftops of high elevation.
- Works in confined spaces such as ceilings, and under floor crawlspaces.
- Exposure to BSL2, ABSL2, ABSL3, and BSL3 laboratory environments.
- Will be required to participate in training in order to gain entry to the ABSL3, BSL3 and BSL2, ABSL2 laboratories
- Near moving mechanical parts.
OTHER: This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position. Texas Biomed business hours are Mondays through Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.