The Kulkarni Lab at the Texas Biomedical Research Institute is searching for an enthusiastic, organized and capable full time research assistant. The growing Texas Biomed campus provides a vibrant and diverse scientific community as well as multiple opportunities for training and career advancement. The candidate will employ cutting edge techniques to study the role of the non-coding RNAs in pathogenesis of infectious as well as autoimmune diseases. These studies are likely to discover novel gene regulatory pathways and specific molecular candidates for targeted therapy.
Under the direction of the PI and research staff, the successful candidate will perform the following daily activities of the laboratory:
- Perform assays utilizing standard techniques (cloning, cell transfection, DNA/ RNA extraction & analysis, flow cytometry, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, quantitative PCR; Western blot, cell culture, luciferase assays, ELISA, RNA immunoprecipitation and sequencing)
- Independently perform routine and non-routine experiments which are moderate to complex. Occasional after hours or weekend cell culture maintenance will be necessary.
- Ensure quality control of equipment, reagents, and cellular components.
- Ordering and inventory of laboratory supplies and reagent/sample logs.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS: Required: BS/BA in Biological Sciences.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in standard techniques (DNA/ RNA extraction & analysis, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE; Western blot, Quantitative). Additional experience in cloning, antibody staining for flow cytometry preferred.
- Computer skills (Microsoft word, Excel, Power Point)
- Good organizational skills, meticulous note taking and excellent attention to details
- Ability to participate in diverse projects.
- Excellent documentation skills
- Ability to perform as a team member; must have good interpersonal skills
The above job description details the major duties and qualifications of the listed position. The employee hired for this position must be able to perform all duties outlined. Although the specific duties and responsibilities of these positions may vary slightly, the supervisor of this position will ensure that the employee hired to this position is trained and qualified to complete each task assigned. The research assistant will report to Dr. Smita Kulkarni.
OTHER: This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position. Occasional after hours or weekend work may be required. Texas Biomed business hours are Mondays through Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.