The sterilization technician provides non-technical laboratory help with emphasis on sterilization of laboratory glassware and maintaining an adequate supply of clean laboratory glassware and related supplies ready for use in one of more research laboratories.
- Operates autoclaves, sterilizers and other laboratory equipment in the course of laboratory maintenance work.
- Performs biohazard and non-biohazard waste disposal duties for laboratories and BSL4 by ensuring weight is correct, properly labeled, bagged and boxed properly.
- Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment such as slides, pipettes, culture dishes and other laboratory glassware. Provides BSL4 with clean scrubs and towels by autoclaving, washing, drying then folding.
- Must operate automatic washing machine equipment and drying oven(s).
- Maintains temperature records on autoclave machines.
- Ensures proper maintenance of autoclave and dishwasher through inspection and work orders. May act as porter in area to which assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Requires a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma. No prior specific work experience required. Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately. Must have good manual dexterity. Must have demonstrated mechanical ability through training or previous work record.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Work involves strenuous physical activities of various kinds with possible accidental exposure to hazardous substances, unpleasant work conditions such as exposure to unpleasant odors. Possible accidental exposure to biological agents (such as BSL4 agents, herpes B virus, SIV, HIV, STLV, Vaccinia, Tuberculosis, and Shigella), radioactive material, toxic chemicals (caustic and acid cleaning and sterilizing compounds) and to zoonotic diseases. This position may require participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program to include hepatitis B or other inoculations. Physical demands may include strenuous physical activity. The laboratory environment is managed by stringent safety and health standards and with adherence to protocol, the risk is very low.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Requires successful completion of a background check. Texas Biomed business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.