Animal Care Supervisor
The Animal Care Supervisor will coordinate the activities of assigned animal caretakers and technicians in the marmoset area to ensure maintenance of high standards in animal care in those facilities specified. The major responsibility of this position is to supervise employees in the care and use of laboratory animals, their housing and associated facilities. Will also be expected to assume animal caretaker duties as needed. Duties and responsibilities:
• Consistent attendance is an essential responsibility.
• Plans work schedules and assign duties to maintain adequate staff for effective performance of
activities and response to fluctuating workloads.
• Monitors field work to ensure that it is being performed properly and that resources are being
used as they should be.
• Confers with supervisors and other SNPRC personnel to exchange information and to resolve problems.
• Participates in the hiring process by reviewing credentials, conducting interviews, or making
hiring decisions or recommendations.
• Assess training needs of staff and arrange for or provide appropriate instruction.
• Recommends or initiate personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, and disciplinary
• Resolves personnel problems, complaints, and formal grievances when possible, or refer them to
higher-level supervisors for resolution.
• Counsels employees in work-related activities, personal growth, and career development.
• Conducts staff meetings to relay general information or to address specific topics, such as safety.
• Reviews work throughout the work process and at completion to ensure that it has been performed properly.
• Enforce safety rules and regulations.
• Maintains all relevant records regarding the animals to include both hard files and computer programs.
• Maintains appropriate levels of drugs and medical supplies.
• Orders feed and supplies.
• Observes and treat laboratory animals.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: High school diploma or general equivalency diploma. AALAS Certification at the LATg level or licensed veterinary technician (LVT) required. Requires five or more years of job specific experience required. Must be familiar with animals housed in social groups. Staff in this colony will also care for rodents.
Preferred: bachelor’s degree.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Work involves strenuous physical activities of various kinds with continuous exposure to hazardous substances, potentially dangerous situations, unpleasant work conditions such as exposure to unpleasant odors or adverse weather conditions. May work with infectious agents such as herpes B virus, SIV, HIV, STLV, Vaccinia, Tuberculosis, and Shigella. May work with radioactive materials, toxic chemicals, caustic and acid cleaning and sterilizing compounds. Potential exists for animal bites and animal scratches. Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases. This position may require participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program to include hepatitis B or other inoculations. Physical demands may include strenuous physical activity including prolonged standing and/or walking, handling moderate weight objects and/or using or carrying equipment. Exposure to adverse weather conditions or temperature extremes. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards. Must be able to wear an air purifying respirator in a proper manner and if necessary, pass a respirator fitness test. Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided.
OTHER: This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position. Texas Biomed business hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend work, holidays and overtime will be required. Texas Biomedical is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Internal candidates should contact the HR Office.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.