Animal Caretaker Positions
Two positions available. The successful candidates will be responsible for performing the following job duties:
• Provide daily care for marmoset monkeys, e.g., daily watering, feeding, cleaning of cages, etc.
• Provide all other aspects of primate husbandry, including health checks, recording data, and assist in monkey environmental enrichment program.
• May be required to capture and handle non-sedated monkeys.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Veterinarian.
High School diploma or GED equivalent. AALAS Certificate at the ALAT level preferred or licensed veterinary technician (LVT). Requires one year of job specific experience preferably caring for laboratory animals. Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately. Must be able to read and follow written and verbal orders from supervisor and Veterinarian. Must be able to write legibly and record health data and some research data. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards.
• Employee’s work will involve working directly with laboratory animals such as Marmosets, Tamarins and different species of rodents such as mice, rats, hamsters, monodelphis and guinea pigs.
• Employee will be exposed to unpleasant odors and animal wastes.
• Hazardous chemicals include Enviro-B, Super Blue, AD-1, Amphyl, bleach.
• Other occupational hazards include bites, scratches and lifting.
• Employee must routinely lift 50+ pounds and carry for short distances without assistance.
• Prolonged standing and walking with some climbing will be required.
• Primarily work will be indoors in very warm humid rooms and outside when transporting animals or cages.
• Must provide proof of measles immunization or measles titer. Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Immunization for Hepatitis B is required unless waived by the employee.
• Employee will drive Texas Biomed vehicles on Texas Biomed business.
• Safety Training and protective clothing, equipment, and supplies will be provided to the employee.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Employee will normally work 7:00am to 4:00pm. Some weekend and holiday work will be required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbio,ed.org/about/employment.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status.
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.