Groundskeeper I – Facilities
The successful candidate will perform routine maintenance work utilizing skills to diagnose problems, make repairs and/or replace worn or defective parts on building systems, machines, and mechanical equipment with an emphasis on landscape maintenance and repairs to roads and grounds, including off-site properties.
• Consistent attendance is an essential responsibility
• Performs roads and grounds maintenance including grass cutting, weed-whacking, edging and
mulching, minor asphalt and road repairs. Picks up and disposes of any trash items left on the
• Maintains and repairs tools, equipment and structures such as buildings and fences using hand and
• Mows areas that include the base of exterior fencing, interior and exterior of fields not covered by
landscaping contractor, trimming as necessary to ensure a clean, safe and orderly work site.
• Operates roads/grounds equipment such as tractor with shredder, walk behind mowers, weedeaters,
• Mixes and sprays or spreads fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using
hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
• Performs tree trimming, shrub pruning, collecting and disposal of broken tree limbs and mulching
• Provides back up for other maintenance mechanics during their absence.
• Performs maintenance activities such as minor repairs, painting, and replacing light bulbs and
fixtures when landscaping work is deferred due to inclement weather or as priorities dictate.
• Electrical repairs are limited to 120 to 240 volt services as defined by the City of San Antonio.
• Tracks and reports all landscape maintenance activities to supervisor.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: High school diploma/GED
Requires two or more years of job specific experience. The ability and skills to assess a wide variety of facility problems and make repairs in an efficient and timely manner. Able to operate a variety of power tools, hand tools, tractors/shredders, backhoes, weed-eaters, and walk-behind mowers. The person should be capable in carpentry, basic mechanical, electrical, and plumbing maintenance and repair. Must be able to routinely lift up to 80 pounds and carry for short distances without assistance. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and must meet Texas Biomed driving standards. Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision. Good interpersonal & communication skills.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Work may involve potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissue and animal body fluids. May work with infectious agents such as herpes B virus, SIV, HIV, STLV, Vaccinia, Tuberculosis, and Shigella. May work with toxic chemicals, caustic and acid cleaning and sterilizing compounds. May involve potential exposure to compressed gases, cryogenics, electrical hazards, heat/cold/noise/pressure, radioactive materials, and x-ray equipment. Physical demands may include moderately difficult physical activity that includes prolonged standing and/or walking, handling moderate weight objects and/or using or carrying equipment. Must have valid driver’s license and meet Texas Biomed driving standards. Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Must be able to wear an air purifying respirator in a proper manner and if necessary, pass a respirator fitness test. Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided.
OTHER: This is a full-time hourly paid position. Texas Biomed business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional weekend work, holidays and overtime will be required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment. Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.