We are seeking a highly motivated research assistant to join a dynamic research team focused on the prevention and eradication of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. The candidate will join the group of Dr. Ruth Ruprecht, who heads a multi-institutional AIDS research program at the Texas Biomedical Research Institute, the parent institution of the Southwest National Primate Research Center.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Performing molecular biology techniques, which include but not limited to: PCR, primer design, transfection, transformation, cloning, ELISA, plasmid isolation, protein purification, western blotting, DNA and protein gel electrophoresis
- Performing various assays such as neutralization, virion capture
- Processing of blood and peripheral blood mononuclear cell isolation
- Analyzing experimental data and interpreting results; preparing data for presentations
- Performing other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS: Required: Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field. Highly skilled in laboratory research techniques. Tissue culture and sterile techniques a must. Excellent communication skills. Ability to perform as a team member with good interpersonal skills. Preferred: Master’s degree in a related scientific discipline. Background in HIV biology and experience working in a BSL-2+ setting.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: This work may involve exposure to compressed gases, cryogenics, electrical hazards, heat/cold/noise/pressure, UV light, infectious materials (BSL-2), and medical waste. Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Safety training and protective clothing will be provided.
OTHER: This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position. Texas Biomed business hours are Mondays through Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional after hours or weekend work may be required. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.