Veterinary Research Technician Supervisor
The Veterinary Research Technician Supervisor performs supervisory duties over technical, animal care personnel, and/or veterinary services supervisory personnel involved in tasks requiring special skills and a high level of technical expertise in the care and use of laboratory animals in biomedical research programs.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Manages the Veterinary Research technical staff to include but not limited to: scheduling, resource management, performance evaluations, addressing personnel matters related to conduct as well as adherence to policies and established practices, establishment of goals and expectations.
- Oversees the recording of data, preparation of study notebooks and preparing reports of test results and/or experiments.
- Assures that technical staff follow and comply with standards of veterinary care and properly execute IACUC approved research activities.
- Manages all aspects of technical and research program related duties.
- Administers the technical training program to include: determining the appropriate training, scheduling training sessions, and maintaining competency requirements.
- Assists in the developing and training of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) pertaining to his/her area of technical specialization.
- Attends continuing education courses.
- Understands rules and guidelines set forth by regulatory bodies such as OLAW, NIH, IACUC, and USDA.
- Consults with investigators and/or veterinarians on animal research and clinical care to assure the correct personnel and numbers are assigned to tasks.
- Participates in and preparing for on-site IACUC, USDA and AAALAC inspections and incumbent is responsible for the subsequent coordination of corrective actions.
- Controls inventory by ordering all supplies that are necessary for office and research/clinical purposes as well as safety supplies. Assures the availability of equipment for studies.
- Communicates clearly through oral and written means with those supervised, veterinarians, peers and principle investigators.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Requires an Associate Degree from an accredited college or university in a specialized area. Associate of Science degree as a veterinary technician or in biological sciences, health administration or business management.
Licenses and/or Certifications
AALAS Certificate at the LATg level OR Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) required.
EXPERIENCE: Requires eight years of experience and two years of experience as a Veterinary Research Technician Assistant Supervisor, preferably in a medical/research setting. Skills: Basic technical experience is required, with more advanced skills preferred. Individual must have demonstrated supervisory skills, preferably over medical or technical personnel. The employee’s functions are concerned with the accomplishment of technical tasks within the employee’s general field of training. The employee must have demonstrated an exceptionally high degree of adaptability coupled with the ability to organize the work of others and supervise and coordinate the technical aspects of one or more segments of a research program.
POTENTIAL HAZARDS: Work involves strenuous physical activities of various kinds with continuous exposure to hazardous substances, potentially dangerous situations, unpleasant work conditions such as exposure to unpleasant odors or adverse weather conditions. May work with infectious agents such as herpes B virus, SIV, HIV, STLV, Vaccinia, Tuberculosis, and Shigella. May work with radioactive materials, toxic chemicals, caustic and acid cleaning and sterilizing compounds. Potential exists for animal bites and animal scratches. Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases. This position may require participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program to include hepatitis B or other inoculations. Physical demands may include strenuous physical activity. The laboratory environment is managed by stringent safety and health standards and with adherence to protocol, the risk is very low. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
OTHER: This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position. Requires successful completion of a background check. Texas Biomed business hours are Mondays through Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required.
Apply online at http://www.txbiomed.org/about/employment. Application packets are accepted electronically or in hard copy. A completed application packet is a requirement for all positions. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran Status
Your resume and application must be provided electronically. Please follow the steps below.
- Please read instructions before submitting your application.
- PDF forms will need to be completed, saved to your computer and uploaded. Please refer to Step 2 for additional information.
- Fill out the online form.
- At the conclusion of the application process, you will be asked to attach your PDF files.