TPLH has assembled a colony of baboons between 0 and 25 years of age (0 to 100 human equivalent). In addition to studies on postnatal animals across the life-course, the TPLH NICHD Program Project Grant, in year 22, supports studies on mothers and their fetuses throughout pregnancy. Several well-established, funded investigator groups are collaborating in either individual projects or multidisciplinary, multi-institution projects studying these animals.
We have considerable experience in conducting long-term in vivo physiological studies using free moving animals on a tether system to study endocrine, cardiovascular, and metabolic endpoints. We have an extensive archive of frozen and fixed tissues from baboons from 0.5 gestation to term and across the life-course.
We are developing a multi-institution, multidisciplinary project to develop the power of this unique nonhuman primate colony to evaluate effects of the following on the aging process:
- health of mothers and sires before pregnancy;
- outcomes of developmental programming challenges, such as sub-optimal maternal nutrition (under- and over-nutrition), maternal stress, and exposure to environmental pollutants and obstetric pharmacological agents administered to mothers in pregnancy and lactation;
- normal life course aging.
If you have an interest in participating, contact the Director, Peter W Nathanielsz, at ude.o1498076180ywu@z1498076180slein1498076180ahtaN1498076180.rete1498076180P1498076180.
Read about how investigators at TPLH and the Mexican National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition connect our body’s own steroids with aging.
- Zambrano, E., Reyes-Castro, L. A., & Nathanielsz, P. W. (2015) Aging, glucocorticoids and developmental programming. Age (Dordrecht, Netherlands), 37(3): 9774. PMID 25953670.
- Rodríguez-González, G. L., Reyes-Castro, L. A., Vega, C. C., Boeck, L., Ibáñez, C., Nathanielsz, P. W., Larrea, F., Zambrano, E. (2014) Accelerated aging of reproductive capacity in male rat offspring of protein-restricted mothers is associated with increased testicular and sperm oxidative stress. Age (Dordr) 36(6): 9721. PMID 25354645.
- Morimoto S, Sosa TC, Calzada L, Reyes-Castro LA, Díaz-Díaz E, Nathanielsz PW and Zambrano E. (2012) Developmental programming of aging of isolated pancreatic islet glucose stimulated insulin secretion in female offspring of mothers fed low protein diets in pregnancy and/or lactation. Journal of DOHaD 3(6): 483-488. PMID 25084301.
- Morimoto S, Calzada L, Sosa TC, Reyes-Castro LA, Rodriguez-González GL, Morales A, Nathanielsz PW, Zambrano E. (2011) Emergence of ageing-related changes in insulin secretion by pancreatic islets of male rat offspring of mothers fed a low-protein diet. Br J Nutr 107(11): 1562-1565. PMID 21902873